WHAT'S ON MY RADAR: FEBRUARY 2018
February might be a short month but that doesn't mean we are short on ways and reasons to drink and eat this month. To get this month going we have a wine-paired dinner to benefit local charities supporting families and children, a collaboration with Tony's Chocolonely and Nomad to raise awareness on the ethics behind chocolate, a fun ice cream brand launching on valentines day with a free pint giveaway, and some fun drinking adventures at OMSI's Empirical Theater. Check back often as this will be updated as I learn about new events!
CLASSIC WINE AUCTION EXPANDS SPRING WINEMAKER DINNER SERIES WITH ADDITIONAL NIGHTS, BRUNCH, AND LOCAL CELEBRITIES
The Spring Winemaker Dinner Series will feature an expanded schedule in 2018 with dinners hosted on the following evenings: Feburary 20-22, 27-28, and March 1. In addition, Class Wines Auction will host its first-ever Spring Winemaker Series Brunch on Sunday, February 25 with The Nightwood Society featuring Division Winemaking Co.
Each Winemaker Dinner offers guest a one-of-a-kind, multi-course menu with curated wine pairings. Top chefs from local restaurants including Dame, Kachka, Can Frong, Headwaters, St. Jack, and Urban Farmer are paired with some of the region's top winemakers including those from Brooks Wine, Crowley Wine, Col Solare, and Owen Roe to created an exceptional menu and pairings.
Classic Wine Auctions has been consistently recognized as one of the top ten charity wine auctions in the country by Wine Spectator Magazine, the Classic Wines Auction has raised more than $43 million for local nonprofit partners since its inception in 1982. Based in Portland, Oregon, Classic Wines Auction, Inc. is a nonprofit organization dedicated to producing the Classic Wines Auction and related food and wine events to raise funds for local organizations benefiting children and families, including: Metropolitan Family Service (MFS), New Avenues for Youth, Friends of the Children-Portland, YWCA Clark County and Unity Center for Behavioral Health. More at www.classicwinesauction.com.
While some dinners have already sold out, reservations remain for the following events. Tickets can be purchased at WinemakerDinnersPDX.com or by calling 503-972-0194.
Tuesday, Feburary 20:
- The Nightwood Society with Analemma Wines
- Urdaneta with Helioterra Wines
Wednesday, Feburary 21
- Chef Kenny Giambalvo with Anne Amie Vineyards at Hotel Vintage Portalnd
- Headwaters with Goodfellow Family Cellars
- Swank Restaurant with Adelsheim Vineyards
Thursday, Feburary 22:
- Cellar Z at Zupan's Market with Ken Wright Cellars
- Olympia Provisions NW with Crowley Wines
Sunday, February 25:
- The Nightwood Society Brunch with Division Winemaking Co.
Tuesday, February 27:
- Dame with Vincent Wine Company
- St. Jack with Montinore Estate
- Tournant with Brooks Wines
Wednesday, February 28:
- Verdigris with Illahe Vineyards
Thursday, February 29:
- Crown Paella with Timothy Malone Wines
- Chef Carlo Lamagna at Feastly with Golden Cluster and Minimus Wines
Science Pub Portland: Urbanism Next: How emerging technologies will change the city as we know it
February 20, 7 p.m.
Location: Empirical Theater at OMSI
$5 advance purchase for guaranteed seats: $5 suggested donation at the door.
with Nico Larco, Associated Professor of Architecture at the University of Oregon and is the Co-Founder and Co-Director of the Sustainable Cities Initative and Becky Steckler, AICP, Program Manager for Urbanism Next at the University of Oregon.
Science Pub is a monthly event held in multiple locations throughout the state and is open to all ages. No scientific background is required. Just bring your curiosity, sense of humor, and appetite for food, drinks and knowledge!
TONY'S CHOCOLONELY CAN BE FOUND AT NOMAD
For the month of February Tony's Chocolonely has teamed up with Nomad for the latest "Not Just Dessert" collaboration series featuring recipes inspired by their delicious, slave-free chocolate in raising awareness of the issues surrounding human slavery in the cocoa industry.
During February you can expect to find a delightful lavender infused dark chocolate ice cream with poached blood orange and a sprinkle of heather flowers.
VICE CREAM LAUNCHES IN OREGON WITH A HUGE 500 PINT GIVEAWAY 02/14 AT 11A
Vice Cream is the unapologetically indulgent premium ice cream brand based out of Boston and launching in all Safeway and Albertsons grocery stores across Oregon. Available in six flavors with punny names including:
- Breakfast in Bed: Maple ice cream with chunks of sticky bun dough, pecan praline, and a touch of cream cheese frosting.
- Afternoon Delight: Creamy vanilla ice cream with chunks of cookie dough, salted caramel truffles, and swirls of chocolate fudge and caramel.
- Toffee Wife: Peanut butter ice cream mixed with chopped toffee bars, peanut butter cookie dough, and toffee ripple.
- Choc of Shame: Rich chocolate ice cream with brownie dough chunks, and dark chocolate shavings.
- Higher Grounds: Dark roast coffee ice cream with swirls of mocha fudge, crunchy chocolate cookie crumbles, and espresso.
- Bourbon Mash: Vanilla ice cream with whisky bourbon-caramel swirl and chocolate chuk mix-ins.
To celebrate their Oregon launch, Vice Cream will be giving away 500 free pints of ice cream at five select stores in the Portland and Beaverton area on February 14th at 11 a.m.. The first 100 to come into each select store will receive the free pint of ice cream.
Safeway Locations offering free pints of Vice Cream february 14th include:
- 14555 SW Teal Blvd, Beaverton, OR
- 4515 SE Woodstock Blvd, Portland, OR
- 13485 NW Cornell Rd, Portland, OR
- 1303 NW Lovejoy St, Portland, OR
- 2800 SE Hawthorne Blvd, Portland, OR
Launched in 2016 to be the most decadent super premium ice cream brand to make fun-humor with eight tongue-in-cheek flavors, and also give back to the cancer community as a central park of its mission. Using decadent mix-ins to create its uniquely rich, creamy ice cream, Vice Cream is unapologetically indulgent for when it's time to indulge.
Come back often or follow my other social trails to learn about new events as they pop up!