MEXICAN HOT CHOCOLATE + DONUTS = LATIN LOVE AFFAIR
BAKED MEXICAN HOT CHOCOLATE DONUTS
makes 20 baked doughnuts
- preheat oven to 35o degrees Fahrenheit
- place flour, sugar, cocoa powder, ground mexican hot chocolate, baking soda, and salt into a mixing bowl and whisk together. set aside.
- pour buttermilk, coffee, eggs, butter, vinegar, and vanilla into another mixing bowl, whisk together until mostly combined and uniform
- pour the flour mixture into the buttermilk mixture and stir until fully incorporated. fold in the melded chocolate until combined.
- lightly grease a two baked doughnut pans. to best fill the tins, fill a piping bag or gallon-sized Ziploc bag with paper. pope batter into the doughnut molds, filling 3/4 of the way up.
- bake the doughnuts for 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- remove trays from the oven and transfer doughnuts onto a cooling rack, pan side up allow doughnuts to cool completely.
- for the glaze: place all ingredients, except the powdered sugar, into a small saucepan over medium-high heat. stir until butter and chocolate have melted and the mixture is smooth. whisky in powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, until all 2 1/4 cups have been added and mixture is smooth. pour mixture into a heatproof bowl and set over a saucepan filled with 2 inches of simmering water ( you're creating a double boiler, to keep the glaze warm and the process of dipping the doughnuts easy)
- to assemble: using the pan side of the doughnut or which every you'd prefer, dip the tops of the doughnut into the warm glaze, let excess drip off and place glaze side up on cooling rack or a waxed sheet of paper. sprinkle with chosen garnish and let cool completely before eating! bueno provecho!
- 2 c. bread flour
- 1 c. light brown sugar
- 1/3 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 c. mexican hot chocolate tablets, finely ground
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 c. buttermilk
- 1/2 c. strong brewed black coffee, cooled
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted, and cooled
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. mexican vanilla extract
- 3/4 c. melted semisweet chocolate chips, cooled
- 1/2 cup ( 1 stick ) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 c. heavy cream
- 1 1/2 tbsp. light corn syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 5 ounces chopped bitter sweet chocolate
- 2 1/4 c. powdered sugar, sifted
- chocolate jimmies
recipe adapted from one of my first food blog bookmark's: Spoon Fork Bacon, direct link to recipe here.