TINY CARDAMOM AND ORANGE ZEST COOKIES
dainty, zesty, crisp tea dunking cookies
about twice a month, i slip into the patient waiting room and track down my favorite food publications. i usually flip through, find the food articles, and write down recipes that i've found, look for them online, and screen capture the ones i want. that little recipe retrieval operation works really well -as it leaves the magazine intact for future patients to read- however, it didn't go that smoothly this time around. instead, i took the magazine and read every food article and just decided to keep the magazine, never returning it to its place in the patient lobby. the reason i went off path was over these tiny cardamom and orange zest cookies. i knew i needed this magazine for a little longer as i found a few other recipes i wanted to try, and no patient had bent the pages or even so much as opened the cover. this magazine was germ-free and all mine for the weekend.
cardamom has been on my baking list all year, i made cardamom creme brulee, and cardamom and pistachio crepes, cardamom rice pudding, and a few select indian dishes that had what else, but cardamom. i love the spicy and astringent flavor of cardamom, just a small whiff from a distance is all you need. unless you like to inhale ground cinnamon, then go right ahead, sniff away.
not only are these cookies cute -as they are a mere tiny inch and a half- but you can eat handfuls and never feel that guilt of eating too many sweets. these cookies are light in flavor and sturdy enough to take a dip in coffee or tea. make a batch for your next sunday brunch session or be that nice person to bring in a plate of cookies to offset the lousy coffee offered at work, people will love you for it!
- preheat oven to 375. in a medium bowl, thoroughly blend sugar and orange zest, then blend in cardamom. add butter and beat with a mixer until light and fluffy.
- beat egg and vanilla into sugar-butter mixture, until uniform. on low speed, mix in flour.
- line 3 baking sheets with parchment paper. drop batter onto sheets using a level teaspoon measure. top each cookie with a pinch of preferred nuts or seeds. bake until crisp and brow at the edges, 10 to 12 minutes.
- transfer cookies to a cooking rack and cool completely.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds or chopped salted and roasted pistachios (preferred)