BLONDIE BROWNING ICE CREAM CAKE
a cold crunchy sweet treat.
i'm back, i'm back!
-back from my hot and humid -yet incredibly amazing- vaction in se asia that is!
although it's nearly winter i can't help but think of this fun ice cream cake i made for my friend's birthday this summer.
when said friend says they don't like cake, you say "shut up dude, i am making you a cake. it could even be corn bread cake, because that's what i am willing to do." you then wait for their response, "well, i only like ice cream, can you make me an ice cream cake?"
"well then duh!" i quickly reply!
since an ice cream cake was to be, i started out with a list of things that make up my favorite kinds of ice cream cakes:
- a cake layer, maybe a brownie
- a crunchy layer, like dairy queen's ice cream cakes
- ice cream, of course
- a magic shell
now that i complied a list of what makes a great ice cream cake, i drew out the layers and labeled what i expected this ice cream cake to be:
blondie browning bottom layer, vanilla ice cream, crunchy layer, more vanilla ice cream, topped with an additional blondie brownie layer, coated in magic shell and decorated with golden oreos!
blondie brownie vanilla bean ice cream cake assembly:
started with two 6"round -already prepared- blondie brownies. one blondie round to be the base and the other is reserved for the top. place one round in the the bottom of your spring form cake pan. layer with 1 cup of softened vanilla ice cream. place layered brownie and ice cream to the freezer. time to prepare the crunchy layer.
build the crunchy layer:
- crush up a dozen naked blonde oreos. another excuse to feel like a bartender with my muddle.
- 4 tablespoons of coconut oil and 4 tablespoons of peanut butter melted, stir until combined. add oreo crumbs to the melted coconut oil and peanut butter to create the crunchy layer.
- pull the layered cake from the freezer and evenly layer the crunchy layer on top. return to the freezer for an additional 20 minutes to set up.
- add remaining 1 cup of vanilla ice cream and top with second layer of blondie brownie. return cake to the freezer while you prepare magic shell topping.
- once again, mix 3 tablespoons coconut oil and 3 tablespoons peanut butter, melt and mix. poor peanut butter magic shell over the last brownie layer and top with more golden oreos. ps. stick candels in now if you can, otherwise they won't go in when the shell sets up.
- return to the freezer until it's celebration and singing time!!!
h a p p y b i r t h d a y t o y o u ! h a p p y b i r t h d a y t o y o u !
happy birthday bubba!
-try to freeze the heck out of the cake prior to cutting. if it's too soft chances are you will avalanche like we did...-
entire recipe, shopping list, and tools coming soon!